Thursday, November 18, 2010

Laptop Lunches - my new obsession

Many of you already now I am obsessed with the laptop lunch bento box. They are based off of Japanese culture. You get a box and inside the box is 4 smaller boxes. It allows you to cut out the plastic baggies (money & environment saver!), bulk more fresh food in bulk (no more pre-processed, individually packaged snacks) and send a whole new variety of foods to school/work.

I got one for me and each of the girls. I will say it requires us to be more creative. The laptop lunches site had many great ideas. They are UBER creative. I also created a little cheat sheet for Zanayah (8 y/o). I put different ideas under three categories: Main courses, Veggies & Fruits, and Snacks. She can choose from those lists if she is stuck.

I also went and got these adorable fruit and veggie cutters. I cut watermelon, cheese, cucumbers, etc. into shapes like flowers and moons. My 2 y/o really likes these small pretty bite sized snacks. Zanayah feels super cool when she has something creative in her bento as well. She said her friends were jealous. I was just so happy she had such a healthy balanced meal!

The laptop lunch system even comes with a set of stainless steel silverware.

So here are some of my ideas (Zanayah has a snack time in the mornings and then lunch so this includes both meals):

#1
dry cereal (milk purchased @ school)
fruit salad & a baby bel cheese
homemade banana bread

#2
cheese & crackers
grapes
organic applesauce
homemade pumpkin chocolate chip muffin

#3
Turkey meatballs
small salad (comes with a dressing container too!)
cheese stick & grapes
celery & organic peanut butter

#4
Hard boiled egg & a few cubes of cheese
Apple slices & peanut butter
Salsa and tortillas

#5
Mini bagel with cream cheese
Carrot sticks
Mini fruit kabobs
Pretzels

I could go on and on!

Here is a great book full of ideas - you can click right on this link if you want.


Go to http://www.laptoplunches.com/ you will get 10% off if you enter my code "supermama" when you check out! Have fun!!!!


Here is a link for the veggie cutters on amazon!

2 comments:

Oooo! Jessica, LOVE this idea (and your blog :)!!! Where did you get the fruit and veggie cutters?
 
I got some of the cutters at laptoplunches.com and I got some from amazon.com.

I will post a link for the amazon ones!
 

Post a Comment