Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My friend Kelly started a blog - it is great!  Check it out at http://kellyannjarrett.blogspot.com/
She is hilarious and her blog today was very thought provoking! Since I was unable to comment on her blog for some reason I will post my thoughts here and encourage you to check her out and follow her.

Kelly encountered a man who would not push in his chair to let Kelly and her beautiful pregger belly slide through.  She was getting increasingly irritated with his lack of consideration for her.  She knew he was aware of her struggle to get through and so was his guests at the table.  Kelly later realized he was a disabled veteran with a bad leg (possibly a prostetic).  Her blog continues to share an additional story.  I love her post because it reminds us that judgments about others can lead to negative treatment.  Negative treatment can lead to negative attitudes thoughts and feelings from the receiver. All of the negativity is NOT GOOD! 

People need to first - mind their biz.  Second (if someone must make it their beeswax) they should think critically about the situation.  You see a person, paying with EBT (food stamps) buy food such as steak and lobster - would you feel better if that person loaded up a ton of junk food?  Because they may also be on state funded health care.  Do you really want them to add diabetes, heart disease, obesity, etc to their current hardship?  No!! Why not eat well with this "gift" (I call it a gift because I know I would feel blessed to have this option if I were in that situation.  I express gratitude for all such gifts).  If I was ever in the situation of needing food stamps I would not suddenly start eating poorly!  That does not make sense.  If anything, it is harder on this person to eat healthy on a restricted budget.

I really encourage people to think more critically.  Think beyond the obvious.  I would have most likely made the same judgment about the gentleman not pushing in his chair so I know that I need to keep my judgments and actions in check.  We all have judgments but we need to be aware of how those judgments impact others.  If we do not think critically we could have given that man less than stellar service, assuming he was a jerk.  Maybe left his food a little too long in the kitchen, did not come back to refill his drinks, etc.  This negative thoughts resulted in action.  His reaction could be to feel discouraged, underappreciated and frustrated - that could carry on to 10 more people who share that negativity with 10 more and so on....

Pass on positive loving vibes, even when people are being jerks - because what you put out in the universe you receive.

Kelly got my heart and mind racing today.  I want to go share love with everyone right now.  You never know what is going on in their world.  Treat each person as if they are wearing a sign that says "Make me feel special".  It WILL come back to you!

Now....go pay it forward!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment